The Importance Of A Healthy Diet To Corporate Wellness
At Healthy Nibbles, we believe in wellness; at home, on the move and most importantly at a corporate level. In the UK, employees spend over a third of their lives in the workplace meaning a third – if not more – of our calories are consumed in the workplace. With that in mind, we believe one of the key spheres of our lives where quality nutrition can make a tangible difference to health and wellness is at work.
At most workplaces the proximity of food and snack is more than reasonable, however, the proximity of healthy food is far harder to come by unless the employer themselves helps in the provision of it. Fast food chains, corner shops, supermarkets and vending machines all provide quick options to get a meal or snack, however, the vast majority of the food and drink offered at these outlets is unhealthy, high in fat, and high in sugar. This is where Healthy Nibbles’ offering can revolutionise a company’s dietary offering for its staff.
Our vending machines are the highest tech on the market and allow the user to select products based on dietary and even allergen requirements. Our office snack boxes also give members of the workforce the freedom to make a healthier choice when snacking throughout the day. Diet has been proven to improve mental health as well being the key contributing factor in improving general health, reducing absenteeism and promoting productivity at work. The importance of diet in the work goes far beyond the individual.
In a recent article on corporate wellness – to add more detail, and some top tips to this piece Monique Piderit a Registered Dietitian, who works regularly in the corporate sector, particularly in the field of wellness suggests:
- Be aware of everything that you are eating and drinking during working hours. Yes, you are under pressure but every calorie, and every nutrient still counts just the same
- Take note of your eating habits at work, especially those triggered by workplace stress and pressure. If you find yourself routinely buying a packet of chips or a chocolate from the vending machine around the corner from your desk every time the going gets tough, it’s time to change your habits and make better choices that will really help you to feel better
- If your healthy eating choices are limited by what’s available around you at or in close proximity to work, consider taking charge and preparing your own daily healthy lunchbox. It is actually not as much work as you may think, and it can be cost-saving too. When you get the balance of protein, carbohydrate, healthy fat and vitamins and minerals right in your lunchbox, you’ve aligned your workplace nutrition with your healthy lifestyle goals.
- Make an effort to reduce your processed foods intake and go for the real thing. For instance, buy more lean chicken pieces than what you will eat for dinner, and then tuck a left-over drumstick in your lunchbox rather than spending extra on processed meats.
- Declare an outright ban on sugary drinks in the workplace which are often all too easily available. Make water your first port of call.
- Stock up on nutrient-dense, fresh fruit, veg and nuts that are so easy to snack right at your desk. Maybe you can stock the fridge at work, or also choose long-lasting fresh produce options like citrus or bananas that can stand on your desk all week long.
- Also keep easy options at hand like whole wheat/high fiber crackers, salt and sugar-free peanut butter and lean biltong. These foods can keep for weeks at a time.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.